SpectroTAB

Forums Flute Community The Think Tank SpectroTAB

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  crow feather 21 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mike prairie
    Participant

I figured out a way to turn recorded music into a kind of TAB using the spectrogram feature of Audacity (but any spectrogram program will do), so I thought I would share it. I copy the image of the spectrogram into PowerPoint (or anything that will allow annotation of an image), and put lines at the interval frequencies. I’m curious if this has been done before…

I did this while trying to figure out the notation for a phrase I liked in an improvisational tune I recorded while noodling around. It could also be a way to quickly learn a song from a recording. The nice thing about it is the “SpectroTAB” can be used as TAB that includes the ornamentation along with the note and its duration. It didn’t work well with reverb on a track (smearred the spectrogram), so I think dry recording is best.

I attached an image with some information and a crude video of the SpectroTAB–I apologize for the poor recording taken on my laptop mic directly to Audacity just for a quick demo.

Hope this is useful…

mike prairie
    Participant

second attempt to upload image (I’ll try the video later)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mike prairie
    Participant

The image seemed to work ok. Now the MP4 video

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mike prairie
    Participant

One at a time seems to work…

crow feather
    Participant

Thats some really cool stuff you just showed,on what you can do with audacity.shows even the harmonics.Is there any way you could send that audio file and convert to a midi file. I have Logic pro x daw(mac only) you can put your song that you just played in to logic,s sample editor turn on flex pitch and it will show in the analyzer the audio wave form and it will show midi events over laying the wave form it even show transients The cool thing is far to the left in the sample editor is a piano roll so you can look over and see what your notes are.The sample editor does a lot more then you can imagine I,ve watched hours of videos on what this can do.If you are recording your flute and the notes(pitch) is off you can correct it in the editor.I,m going to try foolin with audacity for fun like you did.

crow feather
    Participant

Mike you just gave me an idea.Coyote Oldman is one of my favorite artist.He has an album called Rainbird where the songs he plays are solo only I bet you could put that into audacity and figure out the notes. I know for a fact the sample editor in LPX will show the notes when you convert wave form to midi Just a thought.I like what you posted turning music into a tab.I think topics like this make the Flute portal exciting forum to belong to.Thanks i think i,ll fool around with Audacity also

mike prairie
    Participant

Let me know how it turns out. MGA uses a lot of reverb on that, which tends to muddy the spectrogram. You may be able to see the start of the notes, though.

crow feather
    Participant

will do .Going to be gone a few days I,ll do it next week or sooner

crow feather
    Participant

Ok so i did not go with MGA.I have canyon trilogy all solo by CN.I mic a song into LPX i put it into editor and got great results. i can TAB the notes in 4 different styles piano roll(midi) in the step editor which shows all notes in letters in order.also score notation (staffs).I took pictures of the computer screen showing the different tabs.Now i,m trying to figure out how to present results to this forum.Probably will be awhile.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.